Thursday, December 10, 2009

I need courage.

As I approached even trying to talk about topic of race, I must say that I felt and still feel extremely uncomfortable. In the readings, it was acknowledged by Achman and his analysis of Chris Rock that comedy can be a source of relief and means of dissecting racism in society. I have to say that I am usually the white girl in the room that is objecting to scenes from Family Guy or South Park. It has been so engrained in me from my liberal family to accept and embrace all people-- and racism or racist thoughts are not acceptable. But as I really started thinking about my thought process on race, I may object theoretically to scenes from comedies/satires, and I may be as liberal as it gets politically, but I sadly still stereotype in regarding race. So as much as I say I believe in the idea of diminishing racial disparities, am I part of the issue? Am I the REAL problem? I think I probably am. I am the person who is not willing to truly become uncomfortable when talking about race. In concept and theory, I completely oppose racism, but when I walk down the street, when I watch TV, when I think about dating--I stereotype subconsciously. I hope that the acknowledgment of this will help me. I need to start having the courage to ask questions that will make me uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment