Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Blind Side

I decided to attend the movie, The Blind Side, alone. Race, unlike gender, has been a topic within class and in my personal life, that I really believe I have dodged. As I wrote my paper on class for my Communications Media course, and displayed the realities of news reporters in the media (they are typically white and fail to ask questions of substance regarding race), I did become angered, but not specifically at the reporters, but at myself. I have truly realized my ignorance in regards to racial disparities in the United States. I am a democrat, and a pretty dedicated one, so I do acknowledge the plight of the African American community and see great importance in reform and government programs to help create a bridge between racial communities. But really, honestly, if I were to be completely transparent, I would have to admit my own racial stereotypes that I form within society. I would have to admit that I do not ask the difficult questions that make me extremely uncomfortable, and I use blanket statements like poverty, crime, welfare, affirmative action, to explain racial issues, rather than truly diving into the term and deciphering my stance, like I would with specifics of certain women's issues. I do not go and stand side by side with my African American citizens and ask what I can do to create a more healthy, egalitarian relationship.

As I sat in the theatre, watching the Blind Side, all of these emotions ran through me. I saw myself in Mrs. Tuley. I would be that girl to see "Big Mike" and offer to help him, but not truly understand him. I may go further than some white people in aiding someone in need, but I do not go the depths in actually feeling the pain of their struggle. I really forced myself to evaluate this. I sincerely have not issue diving into LGBT issues, a group I do not directly identify with, but have great empathy for, so why do I have such a struggle with wanting to not only understand, but take on racial issues within society? I really became angry with myself. I don't think I have ever identified with a character in a movie like I did with Mrs. Tuley. A white, upper class, Christian woman who took on many humanitarian causes, was convicted by something that was in her backyard, merely a few miles on the other side of town, but a completely different world.

The scene where Mrs. Tuley is at lunch with her entitled friends and her friend asks "genuinely" if she fears a black boy under the same roof as her daughter, will sit within my heart forever. A huge shift occurred within me and I suddenly not only realized how wrong that statement was, but how much of a gap there is between the upper class white, and the black community. No matter who I am, I am still associated with this class and it is not my choice, but my obligation in continually breaking down racial barriers and stereotypes within my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment