Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cosby


I must admit, I am a 'Nick at Nighter.' There is something about watching shows from childhood, and tv that has very miniscule problems presented that is comforting. But when I really think about the shows I watch, sometimes I wonder if they are actually a positive influence on my formation of stereotypes.

The Cosby Show changed the portrayal of African American culture and representation in the media when it came out. A family without any major problem or deviance, the father is a doctor, and the mother a lawyer. The characters of the family all being black allowed the advancement of African Americans. This always was my perception of the effect the Cosby Show had on Americans.

Now, I often wonder if when white Americans watch shows such as The Cosby Show, Sister Sister, Fresh Prince of Belaire, and Family Matters, if we all assume the racial problems in America have diminished? I fear that these shows create a false idea in the minds of many white Americans, that see, these black families are making it and succeeding the American Dream, just like white people, therefore, race in America does not need to be addressed anymore.

I get frustrated, because I have no answers. I feel as though it is a cycle. I obviously feel that it is extremely important and necessary for African Americans to be equally represented in the media, but I hope that stereotyping begins to change and allow for African Americans to represent multiple and all facets of American Culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment